Yevtushenkov Vladimir Date of Birth:
25 September 1948
Yevtushenkov Vladimir Citizenship:
Professional field/official position Yevtushenkov Vladimir:
Chairman and Majority Shareholder of the AFK Sistema
Yevtushenkov Vladimir biography:
YEVTUSHENKOV Vladimir Petrovich (b. 1948) graduated from Moscow Institute of Chemical Technology in 1973 and the Faculty of Economics of Moscow State University in 1980. In 1975-1982, he worked as the head of the workshop, deputy director, chief engineer of the Karacharovsky plastic plant.
- In 1982, he became chief engineer and deputy director of the Polimerbyt plant. He was a member of the Communist Party. At one of the meetings at the USSR Ministry of Chemical Industry, Yevtushenkov met with the head of the Office of Science and Technology and a future Mayor of Moscow, Yuri Luzhkov, and the younger sister of Yevtushenkov’s wife, Elena Baturina, later married Luzhkov.
In 1987, he was appointed head of the Technical Department of the Main Directorate for Science and Technology of the Moscow City Executive Committee. In 1990, after the election to the Moscow City Council, Luzhkov became chairman of the Moscow City Executive Committee, and Yevtushenkov, in turn, took over as chairman of the Moscow City Committee for Science and Technology.
- In 1993, Yevtushenkov, together with partners, created Sistema, a joint-stock financial corporation (AFK), which included enterprises established by the Moscow City Executive Committee. The company was engaged in finance, construction, reconstruction of real estate, and in 1994 turned its attention to telecommunications. In 1994, Sistema Telecom acquired a controlling stake in Vimpelcom OJSC, and then, together with MGTS OJSC, established Center TeleSystems. MGTS handed over to AFK trust management of most of its subsidiaries, in particular, Moscow Cellular Communications, Interregional Transit Telecom, Mobile TeleSystems (MTS), etc. In 1997-1999, Yevtushenkov was chairman of the board of TV Center.
In 2001, MTS acquired 100% of the shares of Telecom-XXI, a mobile operator in St. Petersburg; in March 2003, Yevtushenkov’s holding acquired 10% of the shares of Deutsche Telekom, a German company that owned a large stake in MTS.
- In 2006, AFK acquired the cable television operator United Cable Networks, becoming the second-largest cable television operator in Russia. AFK Sistema today owns controlling stakes in MTS mobile operator, Detsky Mir retailer, Medsi clinics, etc.
In 2014, Yevtushenkov was accused of illegally acquiring a controlling stake in Bashneft oil company and he got under house arrest. As a result, the government took the shares back and sold it to Rosneft.
- In December 2017, Sistema signed an amicable agreement and paid Bashneft 100 billion rubles, but Yevtushenkov’s wealth has since been steadily declining. According to the Forbes rating, his fortune is estimated at $1.5 billion (2019), while he owned $9 billion in 2014.
- Vladimir Yevtushenkov was the sponsor of Luzhkov’s election block Fatherland in the Duma elections in 1999. He has been a member of the board of the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs since 2000.
Source: peoples.ru, 5/31/2009
He has been a member of the board of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation since 2002, a member of the Government Commission on Science and Innovation Policy, the Council on Science and High Technologies under the President of the Russian Federation, the Council on Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship under the Government of the Russian Federation and the National Corporate Governance Council.
In July, 2002 the corporation published information regarding its owners. Then it was found out that almost 76% of «Sistema» belonged to its founder Vladimir Yevtushenkov. Thus, chairman of the board of directors of AFK «Sistema» became officially recognized billionaire after presidents of YUKOS and “LUKOIL” Mikhail Khodorkovsky and Vahid Alekperov and co-owners of “Wimm-Bill-Dann”.
Source: lenta.ru, 4/22/2009
In March, 2003 the holding headed by Yevtushenkov got 10 % of shares of the German company Deutsche Telekom supervising 40.1 % shares in the capital of the Russian cellular company MTS.
In March, 2004 Yevtushenkov was elected as the chairman of the Board of guardians of fund of development of the State Russian museum (SRM) “Friends of Russian museum”.
On January, 24th, 2005 Yevtushenkov was appointed to the post of the president of OAO “AFK ‘Sistema'” and on January 24, 2006 he left this post and became the chairman of board of directors of «Sistema».
In February, 2006 «Sistema» got the operator of a cable television “Incorporated cable networks” (ICS). The sum of transaction according to newspaper “Kommersant” was 100 million dollars. After the deal was completed AFK «Sistema» became the second-large cable television operator in Russia conceding only to the structures belonging to the company “Nafta-Moscow”.
In February, 2007 it became known that the company headed by Yevtushenkov signed a major deal having sold the share in insurance company “ROSNO” to the German concern Allianz. The sum of transaction was 750 million dollars.
According to Forbes magazine by January, 2005 Yevtushenkov’s fortune made 2.4 billion dollars. In 2006 the founder and the largest shareholder of AFK «Sistema» (businessman owned 63.1 % shares of AFK) was included again in the list of billionaires and occupied 93rd place in the world rating with the fortune of 6,3 billion dollars. And in March, 2008 he was on the 77th place with the fortune of 10 billion dollars.
By data of 2008, Yevtushenkov is a member of the Government Commission on Science and Innovation Policy, the Russian President’s Council on Science and High Technology and National Council on Corporate Governance, Russian Olympians Foundation and Governmental Council on Nanotechnology. Doctor of Economics, member of Russian Engineering Academy, International academy of communication; Awarded with the order of Russian Orthodox Church of Saint Sergey Radonezhsky.
Yevtushenkov is married. His wife – Yevtushenkova Natalia Nikolaevna heads IBRD Management. Yevtushenkov has two children: Tatyana (1976, since 2008 – the adviser to the president of “Sberbank” Herman Gref) and Felix (1978, in 2008 he is appointed to the post of vice-president of AFK «Sistema»).
In Forbes world rating-2010 Yevtushenkov occupies the 93rd place. His fortune is estimated in $7500 million (last year – $1200 million)
Yevtushenkov Vladimir crimes:
Relations with organized criminal groups, mediation of financial support for the associates of the former President of Ukraine Viktor Yanukovych.
Viktor Tamm (Spivakovsky), known as Arnosha, was one of the leaders of the Solntsevskaya gang. In 2017, he suddenly died when he was under house arrest in Spain and was waiting for the start of the money laundering trial.
- He was a shareholder of AFK Sistema and deputy director of the Beijing Hotel complex in Moscow. The gang’s ties with AFK Sistema have been traced since the 1990s and continue to this day. In the mid-90s, during the trial of the leader of the group, Sergei “Mikhas” Mikhailov, in Switzerland, the FBI agent Robert Levinson as a witness on the prosecution side named ex-president of AFK Sistema Evgeny Novitsky one of the treasurers of the Solntsevskaya group. According to media reports, Vladimir Yevtushenkov has repeatedly met with Mikhas. At the interrogation after being detained in Marbella on September 28, 2017, Tamm stated that he had stayed in Spain with Oleg Kuznetsov, who was arrested with him. Oleg Kuznetsov was the administrator of the Beijing Hotel in 2002–2016, and since 2016, the Cosmos Hotel in Moscow. Both hotels are the property of AFK Sistema. The sudden death of Arnosha may not be accidental. A similar trial of the Tambov gang in Spain had surfaced very interesting revelations about the connections of the criminal world with Russian high-ranking political and security officials.
- In Ukraine, AFK Sistema-owned bank is suspected of withdrawing billions of euros for Yanukovych’s team after the ex-president’s escape to Russia. The East-West United Bank, registered in Luxembourg, was a “vacuum cleaner” for transferring money from Ukraine. The bankers close to the family of Viktor Yanukovych used this bank to withdraw assets. For this purpose, they opened correspondent accounts and transferred gigantic amounts of money on them. When a Ukrainian branch started having problems, money was debited to offshore companies affiliated with management. According to the Ukrainian Deposit Guarantee Fund, at the end of 2015, $227 million was withdrawn from Ukraine through the East-West United Bank. However, soon the Ukrainian authorities found a whole group of Ukrainian banks that withdrew more than 4 billion euros to the accounts of the Luxembourg bank and its offshore companies.
- It’s hard to say whether Sechin’s attack on Yevtushenkov in 2014 had an intention to force him to launder money of Yanukovych or to please the growing appetites of the head of Rosneft to concentrate the country’s oil industry in one hand. As Yevtushenkov said, “You always lose if you play with the government.” You lose if you play with the Putin regime by definition. Yevtushenkov agreed with his role as an intermediary between the authorities, mafia and big business at the cost of most of his fortune. This situation is affecting the already unfavorable business climate in Russia and gives an obvious signal to investors, who are increasingly doubting the real inviolability of property and the rule of law in Russia.
- Vladimir Yevtushenkov is closely connected with Mayor of Moscow Jury Luzhkov. They got acquainted in the late eighties. Luzhkov then held a post of the head of the Office of Science and Technology in Minhimprom of the USSR. When in 1990 Luzhkov was elected as the chairman of Moscow Executive Committee of the City Soviet of People’s Deputies Yevtushenkov became the chairman of Moscow City Committee on Science and Technology. Mass-media inform that Yevtushenkov and Luzhkov are married to sisters. According to other data, their wives are not relatives at all.
Source: lenta.ru, “Vedomosti”, 7/8/2005
- Mass-media named Yevtushenkov as mayor’s investor. As it was informed Yevtushenkov financed election campaign of party “Fatherland – All Russia” during parliamentary elections of 1999. But investments were insufficient and representatives of OVR didn’t get to the State Duma. Mass-media informed that after that relations of Moscow mayor and Yevtushenkov worsened a little: the mayor openly accused head of AFK of inability to provide “Fatherland” with necessary financing. But, according to the press, it did not reflect Yevtushenkov’s business.
Source: «Time of news» №37, 3/4/2002, Gazeta.Ru, 8/10/2005
- As it was informed, the part of the most attractive property of Moscow was simply made over to “Sistema”. Of course, “tenders” and “competitions” were formally held; but without any serious investments. According to the press, tens enterprises “voluntary” transferred their stock to “Sistema”. “Intourist”, for example, was headed by the councilor of directors of “Sistema” Anatoly Yarochkin. MGTS gave a quarter of share holding; the structure of board of directors of Ersi-bank included the president of “Sistema” Novitsky. In the press it was written that the best Moscow real estate was actually transferred to “Sistema” by Moscow property committee without any tender.
Source: Novaya Gazeta, 13.10.98
- According to the mass-media, in 1994, the basic division of AFK «Sistema» – “Sistema-Telecom” created a joint venture together with OAO “MGTS”. Then it received into trust shares of “subsidiaries” of state MGTS: AO «Moscow cellular communication»; AO «Inter-regional transit telecom»; AO «Mobile TeleSystems»; TOO “Infocom”; TOO “VAST”; scientific and technological centre “Comset”; AO «Moscow telecommunication corporation»; AO “VOLS”; AO «Moscow Teleport»; AO “Expo-Telecom”; AO “Combellga”; AO “RoSprint”; TOO «Russian imposed systems» (RON); AO “Radiopage”. In a press it is noticed that the joint venture received function of profit manager and maintenance of the equipment of “subsidiaries” was still a duty of state MGTS. As it is informed «Sistema» used also the similar scheme for capture of a scientific and technical complex in Zelenograd; then AO “Angstrem” and AO “Micron” located there began to produce microchips and city telephones of new generation for «Sistema».
Source: “Company” №12, 4/2/2001, “Stringer”, July 2000
- On hearings, Vladimir Yevtushenkov repeatedly met the leader of Solntsevskaya criminal group Sergey Mikhailov (“Mihas”).
Source: «Novaya Gazeta», 13.10.98
- Yevtushenkov was named as the direct organizer of the financial pyramid МММ: in 1992 he kind of transferred 500 million roubles for the pyramid organisation to Sergey Mavrodi.
- In October, 1997 Yevtushenkov and AFK «Sistema» were mentioned in a press in connection with so-called «petrol war». In Moscow faults in gasoline sale began. Mass-media named it struggle for Moscow refueling between Vladimir Gusinsky (“Bridge”) and Vladimir Yevtushenkov («Sistema»). Yevtushenkov acted on the party of Moscow Central fuel company (CFC) which, ostensibly, was supervised by him. It was informed that, under «Sistema’s» plans, Moscow industrial complex of motor repairing service (MPKA) should become integrated with CFC. But the industrial complex owed to “Bridges” enterprises and Gusinsky, as the press wrote, was not going to give it out “for a song”. Even execution of director of MPKA Monahov on a summer residence threshold in Tver region who did not wish to join CFC did not calm down “highly contracting parties”. But as mass-media informed attempts of CFC to carry out repartition of fuel market of the capital and to catch property of some its enterprises became unsuccessful: Gusinsky won an action. Under Luzhkov’s order Moscow Oil Company which was given all stock of CFC was found. The control over MOC was received personally by the mayor of Moscow.
Source: “Kommersant” №34, 9/14/1997, «Novaya Gazeta», 13.10.98
- Press describes the conflict which began in 1998 between Vladimir Yevtushenkov and the chairman of Committee on Telecommunications and Mass-media of Moscow Government y Anatoly Lysenko. It was a struggle for the power on the channel «TV Center» (AFK «Sistema» owned 33 % of shares of the channel “TV Center”). As it was informed, Lysenko insisted on full transfer of “TV Center” to the property of Moscow government, and Yevtushenkov suggested to finish participation of «Sistema» in the capital of the channel to 49% and promised to increase financing of “TV Center” according to share holding increase. According to the press, Yevtushenkov decided to displace the general director of «TV Center» Boris Vishnyak (Vishnyak came to television channel together with Lysenko who created it). In the answer the chairman of Committee on Telecommunications and Mass-media informed the mayor that investment of MCST which was under control of the president of «Sistema» to “TV Center” made only 0,15 %. As it was written, Luzhkov demanded within seven days «to understand this wild situation and to make offers on exception of MSCT from among shareholders in connection with full nonparticipation in financing of «TV Center». Journalists wrote that Luzhkov discontent with Yevtushenkov could be connected not only with unsatisfactory financing of television channel. Journalists saw the main reason was that the mayor counted on long-term cooperation with Vladimir Gusinsky: it was informed on plans to unite the Most-bank with Bank of Moscow and to adjust information cooperation of Moscow government with NTV channel belonging to Gusinsky. And it was incompatible with strengthening of positions of Yevtushenkov.
- As a result, as the press wrote, in April 1999, a television channel management of “TV Center” was ordered to begin preparation for transformation OAO “TV Center” to the state joint-stock company. AO “Moscow Committee on a Science and Technology” (MCST) headed by chairman of AFK «Sistema» Vladimir Yevtushenkov automatically left structure of shareholders of the channel.
Source: «Kommersant» № 20 (1664), 2/13/1999, “Kommersant” № 64 (1708), 4/16/1999
- According to press messages, AFK «Sistema» from time to time appeared in scandal situations in connection with checks of legality of privatization of MGTS.In 2000 the Audit Chamber inspected it on demand of the deputy of the State Duma Leonid Maevsky. Auditors came to conclusion that Moscow property committee owning shares of MGTS contrary to the decision of State property committee of the Russian Federation sold at investment competition to Moscow committee on science and technology (MCST) not 21 %, but 25 % of shares of the operator. It was noticed that MCST was headed by present president of AFK «Sistema» Vladimir Yevtushenkov. As the press wrote, the winner of the competition could arrange additional share issue of MGTS at a rate of 50 % of an authorized capital stock and redeem them; MCST did in 1998. It was informed that the redeemed shares were transferred to AFK «Sistema» which thus became the owner of 56 % of MGTS. Source: «Kommersant» № 243 (3327), 12/24/2005
- In four days after commission occurrence the mass-media informed that deputy Ageev withdrew inquiries from police concerning legality of privatization of OAO MGTS. Ageev explained that he made such decision after he carefully studied materials of the previous. Experts assumed that check of results of MGTS privatization could be stopped by the will of the Petersburg group of networkers (holding “Telecom”) and AFK «Sistema». According to analysts due to coming privatization of “Svyazinvest” representatives of «Sistema» could convince quickly Petersburg partners that current interests of “Svyazinvest” should be renounce for the sake of realisation of more global plans.
Source: «Kommersant» № 245 (3329), 12/28/2005
- AFK «Sistema» was twice mentioned in the press in connection with building in memorial estate territory “Tsaritsino” scandal. According to the messages of mass-media, in the end of 2002 the Moscow government published the order according to which in “Tsaritsino” there should be constructed a housing estate for the needy. It was planned that project would be realized by company “Mosdachtrest” (by data at that moment, the company was included into “Sistema-Gals” which was a part of holding AFK «Sistema»). But under public pressure authorities had to cancel construction near to green space Tsaritsino.
- However, elite place was not forgotten and in June, 2006 there was a new decision that by 2008 a chain of club hotels (wooden mini hotels) “Moscow summer residence” with a total area of 5 thousand sq.m. should appear in memorial estate territory “Tsaritsino” and nearest territories. Then this project was also changed – it was referred to idea of VIP-hotels network “Imperial village” with separate cottages executed in different styles, not necessarily wooden, for one or two families. The basic applicant for realisation of the project was called the company “System-Gals” close to the mayoralty, 70 % of which belonged to AFK «Sistema».
Sources: forbesrussia.ru, November 2005, realty.newsru.com, 4/6/2007
- In the beginning of 2004 AFK «Sistema» appeared in the scandal connected with sale of the residence of Alexey Tolstoy. It was informed that the architectural monument of federal value created by architect Shehtel changed the owner absolutely unexpectedly for employees of a museum: utility contract was simply terminated. Then it was found out that the building had a new proprietor – OOO “Eurostroy”. But the Construction Company was the last in the chain. Its heads bought up a private residence for the high price from the former owner – a certain welfare fund “Society of encouragement of arts” which was founded by AFK «Sistema». Moscow property committee was the co-owner. Mass-media informed that Moscow property committee simply hided the fact of sale and instead of being on city balance the residence moved from one private person to another for half a year. As it was informed, during the sale it seems it was simply “thrown out” from the list of monuments of architecture.
Source: «Weekly news», 3/28/2004
- In the end of 2005, as the press wrote, the conflict between AFK «Sistema» and telecommunication company ASVT because of MTS shares began. ASVT submitted the claim with the requirement to indemnify a loss at a rate of 50 billion rubles (more than 1.75 billion. dollars). The basis for the claim, as it was reported, became the failure of contract execusion by AFK which «Sistema» concluded with ASVT more than 10 years ago. Under this contract ASVT transferred to the possession of «Sistema» holding 19 % of shares of the cellular operator MTS. In an exchange, according to the press, «Sistema» gave ASVT a share holding in under control of AFK AOOT “Noel” which appeared “shell” – all actives were deduced from it. Mass-media, referring to data from ASVT informed that the general director of this company Anastasia Ositis was forced to “present” MTS shares to «Sistema»: some attempts were made for her.In the press there is an assumption that the claim submitted 10 years later after the event was kind of pressure on AFK «Sistema» in connection with outlined privatization of “Svyazinvest”. Source: Aloud.Ru, 11/30/2005,; “Independent newspaper”, 10/17/2005
- Soon after press wrote that having submitted some claims ASVT could win one of them. But it did not mean that the court supported it in dispute for MTS shares. In mass-media it is not mentioned anything regarding results of the suit. Source: ng.ru, 10/28/2005
- As it was written in the press, in 2009 AFK «Sistema» had to give the developer company “System-Gals” for the nominee price. According to mass-media, by the end of September, 2008 the general debt of AFK reached $9.4 billion. On December, 1st, 2008 AFK had to put up all share holding of “Sistema-Gals” (71.1 %) to VTB. Net loss of OAO “Sistema-Gals” in the first half of 2009 made $110,79 million, the revenue was reduced in 4 times – to $47,731 million. As a result, “System-Gals” passed under control of the basic creditor – VTB. Source: sistema-gals.ru, 3/10/2010, restate.ru, 9/14/2009, “Kommersant” № 54 (4109), 3/27/2009
- The latest scandal connected with AFK «Sistema» started in March, 2010. The owner of the company “Sigma Capital Partners” Leonid Maevsky (by the way the same name had the deputy of the State Duma under which initiative in 2000 the Audit Chamber inspected legality of privatization of MGTS) accused AFK «Sistema» of intention to grasp of 20 % Volga region cellular operator SMARTS belonging to him and aspiration to make “Sigma” bankrupt. As it was informed, in the end of 2005 “Sigma” got at VEB the rights of the requirement of debts of one of SMARTS shareholders in amount of $56.3 million and through the court demanded to compensate the sum together with interests or intended to turn collecting on the shares of the operator. In the autumn of 2009 Leonid Maevsky announced himself as the new owner of “Sigma”. A bit later court confirmed the rights of this company to a debt together with interest at a rate of $78.52 million. In the beginning of 2010 Maevsky and the basic shareholder of SMARTS Gennady Kiryushin signed the agreement of lawsuit promising to withdraw all claims to each other, and the right of “Sigma” to own 19,97 % of SMARTS were fixed. According to the press, AFK «Sistema» sent the letter to VEB in which it declared that it had rights of the requirement for 32 % of shares of SMARTS which are kept in depository of this bank. Together with the letter to bank the package of the documents confirming the rights of the requirement of corporation for shares of SMARTS were sent also. According to mass-media, «Sistema» asserts that several years ago it bought up the requirement right on debts of the operator.
Source: maonline.ru, 3/15/2010