The publication Deutsche Welle, whose broadcasting was banned the day before by the decision of the Russian Foreign Ministry, intends to try to reopen an office in Moscow, said DW CEO Peter Limburg.
“My first goal is to try to reopen our office, not evacuate people. And I think that we should enter into a dialogue on this issue. And I hope that a solution will be found, that Russian journalists and our colleagues from Germany will be able to continue working in Russia,” Limburg said.
According to him, now DW’s Moscow office has up to 15 employees, most of whom are Russian citizens and “most likely it will be difficult for them to find another job.” The director general hopes that the issue will be resolved following the meeting of the head of the DW bureau and representatives of the Foreign Ministry on February 9.
“There are also constant political negotiations going on and we will see what happens. It’s never too late to make a mistake and try to fix it. Therefore, I think that a solution can be found,” the CEO said.
Recall that last week the Russian authorities, as part of retaliatory measures to the ban on broadcasting in Germany of the Russian TV channel RT DE, banned the broadcasting of the German television and radio company Deutsche Welle, and also demanded the closure of the bureau in Russia, canceled the accreditation of journalists and demanded that the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation recognize DW as a foreign media agent.